Stop your Home from Flooding and Prevent Floods this Spring
This spring has seen major rainfall in many regions of the country, which means that, unfortunately, some homes have suffered significant flood damage. Floods are one of the main causes of property damage and they can be expensive and difficult to recover from. That’s why it’s important to take steps to prevent floods.The good news is that there are several things you can do to prevent floods and damage at your property.
- Make sure that your eavestroughs and downspouts are cleaned properly. This can prevent floods. If there is build-up or debris in them, they can overflow and direct water where it shouldn’t go. Also, make sure that they’re always positioned to send water away from your house. Over the winter, they may have been damaged by severe weather, so be sure to check them out and make necessary repairs.
- It’s also important to check that there is appropriate drainage below your window wells.
- Make sure that the ground slopes away from your home. This will prevent water from pooling near your foundation, which can cause damage.
- As mentioned, damage can occur during the winter that you might not initially be aware of. The spring is a good time to do a detailed inspection of the walls of your home, as well as the exterior foundation. Have any cracks repaired right away.
- It’s also a good idea to periodically check all pipes and joints in your home to make sure they’re in good working order. This is especially true after a long winter.
- Install a sump pump as needed. This can help reduce the likelihood of a house flood and prevent floods.
Taking Steps to Prevent Floods
In addition to taking steps to reduce the likelihood of a flood and prevent floods
, it’s also crucial that you effectively utilize security technology to alert you to a flood as soon as it happens. Being alerted quickly allows you to take action while the flood is still small, potentially saving you a lot of money, hassle, and heartbreak.A fluid detector can alert you to a flood situation early, often before any significant damage can occur. You can even connect a fluid detector to your home’s monitored alarm system, which means that it will be monitored by the central alarm station. In this situation, if a leak or flood occurs at any time of the day, the central station will be alerted right away. No matter where you are, you’ll be notified of the potential issue, giving you time to act before your home is seriously damaged.In fact, a monitored alarm combined with an active leak detection system provides your property with serious protection to spot and prevent floods. An active system features some type of shutoff valve that turns off a particular appliance, or even water to the entire home, when a leak is detected. These devices can be installed in one area or throughout the home. For more information on how to prevent floods
as well as leak detection, flood detection, and 24-hour monitoring, please contact a member of the SafeTech team today